Leading up to our decision to do missions, we prayed and wondered what God’s will for our life was. Was missions something that God wanted us to do? Should we move our entire family overseas? Should we stay where we were at?
What was God’s will for our lives?
I had thought about this question many times before in the context of counseling youth as a youth pastor. In fact, the question of God’s will was one of the most frequent questions that I had as a youth pastor.
As I’ve given much thought and counsel to this issue, I have realized that sometimes we focus so much on God’s “hidden” will for our life that we forget God’s very clear revealed will found in Scripture. God’s clear “revealed” will includes obedience to what He tells us in the Bible. These are such commands as “Love one another,” “Be kind to one another,” “Pray continually,” etc.
And so, Danica and I have had the chance to discern God’s will in our lives in both ways in the past year. First, we have seen that He has lead us to go forward with our decision to move to Argentina. This has been clear through wise counsel, seeking Scripture, and discussing what our desires in serving Him are.
But second, during this Thanksgiving holiday season I am reminded of of God’s clear command or will. And that includes for my life: Thankfulness!
1 Thessalonians 5:18
18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
In light of this verse, one thing I know is that God’s will for my life today is to be thankful.
So… today I am thankful for:
- My Lord Jesus Christ. I am so grateful for his perfect life, sacrificial death, and victorious resurrection that provides for my salvation.
- An incredible wife who has worked so hard for our family, especially as we prepare for Argentina.
- My five boys that are such a joy in my life (I’m especially grateful for the birth of baby Logan in September).
- Our sending church, Emmanuel Baptist Church. It has been a joy to be a part of EBC for the last seven years. We love this body of believers deeply!
- Our wonderful missions organization, Reaching and Teaching International Ministries. We are so thankful to be a part of this solid missions organization.
- The two families that we will be joining in Argentina (Wrights and Leaches). We look forward to serving alongside them soon!
- The previous staff and elders at EBC that I worked alongside. You were a blessing to serve with!
- Our generous financial and prayer partners in our ministry. Your generosity to us is incredible. Thank you for making this ministry possible.
- For everyone who has prayed for us. All would not be possible without God working through your faithful prayers for us.
Here are some things that my (cute) kids are thankful for:
To God be the glory for His faithfulness to us! I am thankful!